On Friday, 20th of March 2020, the Governor of Oyo State led the first Covid-19 Task Force meeting where steps to fight the virus in the state are deliberated upon, OYOGist.com reports.
The Governor revealed some of the actions the state would be taking to prevent the spread of the virus in the state, which includes shutting down all schools in the state and providing emergency centers within the next three days.
According to a circular post shared by Seyi Makinde, the State Government would be taking the following actions:
- Setting up an emergency operation center within the next 72 hours
- Setting up a diagnostic center within the next 72 hours
- Orders the closure of all schools until after Easter holidays
- Converts Olodo Maternal and Health center to Infectious diseases hospital
- To provide two ambulances dedicated to Covid-19 cases
- To activate the state’s disease surveillance and notifications system in all 33 LGAs and 35 LCDAs
- Suspends the states free health mission
- Suspends the state employees verification exercise
- To embark on enlightenment campaigns
- To provide wash centers in markets and public places
- To provide personal protective gears to health workers through “emergency purchases”
The Governor also announced that the Covid-19 test carried out on a suspected case in the state which was discussed on Thursday by the State Commissioner for Health, B.V.A Bello, turned out negative, and thus declares the state Coronavirus free.