Agidigbo FM, a newly constructed online radio station located at Monatan, Ibadan was reported to have caught fire on Saturday, 11th of April 2020 with properties valued at several millions were lost to the inferno, OYOGist.com has learnt.
The tragic incident that was reportedly witnessed by hundreds of residents who trooped to the scene at the early hours of Saturday.
The station is headed by a popular broadcaster in the town, known as Dr Oriyomi Hamzat.
While there were no casualties recorded because the station was locked, one person was reported to have been electrocuted.
While speaking with the press concerning the incident, the Oyo State Fire Service Director, Moshood Adewuyi said the Fire Services was alerted at 11am.
He said the firemen were dispatched the moment his station received an alert from members of the community.
Adewuyi said: “It is true that the studio of the online radio station caught fire this morning; the place was under locks and keys on the arrival of our men.
“None of the workers of the radio station was around at the time of the outbreak.
“You know, a studio is always padded with foam. That aggravated the fire.”
Asked of the extent of damage at the radio station, he said: “We cannot quantify that. The transmitter; the studio equipment; and office materials at the station were damaged by the inferno.
“The people around there alerted us around 11am. One man was electrocuted. But, thank God, it was not much.
“What happened was that as soon as our men arrived at the scene, we directed our control room to instruct the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company to cut power supply to the area.
“Without getting supply from us, they restored power supply to the area. Majority of the people were already wet, and you know, water is a conductor of electricity. But thank God there was no casualty.”
Follow us on Twitter to stay up to date on our latest reports.