Home Breaking News 774,000 Job Controversy: Senate President Hands Over The Recruitment To NDE As Keyamo Backs Off

774,000 Job Controversy: Senate President Hands Over The Recruitment To NDE As Keyamo Backs Off

by Amadu Victor
0 comment

OYOGist.com has learned that President of the Senate, Ahmed Lawan has declared that Festus Keyamo, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, will not manage the recruitment of 774,000 young people in the federal government’s controversial special public works programme.

According to Lawan, according to a resolution passed on Monday, the National Directorate of Labor and Employment will assume full responsibility for this task.

However, he said the NDE and the Ministry of Labor and Productivity would first have to explain the modalities of the recruitment process.

Lawan explained this during an interactive meeting with journalists in Abuja. He said: “Only the NDE will implement this program. The NDE led by the Ministry of Labour will have to come and explain.

“It would be unfair to say that we are not on the same side in the legislative and executive because someone from the executive has acted. What the National Assembly insists on is the national interest.”

The National Assembly last week asked President Muhammadu Buhari to suspend the program after one of his ministers and the joint body of the two houses of the federal parliament met.

https://oyogist.com/2020/07/lagos-state-workers-to-continue-to-work-from-home-sanwo-olu/

Remember that last Tuesday, the federal legislators left Keyamo after Keyamo refused to apologize after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them. The incident occurred during an investigative hearing organized by the National Assembly’s Joint Committee on Employment, Labor, and Productivity.

The members of the joint committee had convened the Minister and the Director-General of the National Directorate of Employment, Nasiru Argungu, to inform them of the steps taken to date to recruit 774,000 people throughout the country.

Keyamo had told the panel how it had created a 20-member committee in each state to launch the programme. The problem began when legislators questioned Keyamo about alleged unilateral recruitment without the active participation of the NDE, the body that received approval from the National Assembly to implement the 52 billion NDE program.

The dispute that followed led to a screaming match between the two parties, which later forced the legislators to expel Keyamo from the session.

In May, Keyamo said that up to 10 percent of the seats of the program’s beneficiaries in each state would be allocated to political officeholders “such as our distinguished senators, honorable members, ministers and governors.

But on Monday, at the committee’s inauguration, the minister said some politicians were trying to blackmail him for his appointment.

You may also like

Leave a Comment