Oyogist.com has learned that federal executive council (FEC) has approved N621.2 billion for the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, (NNPC) to take over the reconstruction of 21 federal roads across the six geopolitical zones of the country.
Babatunde Fashola, minister of works and housing, disclosed after the FEC meeting presided by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo on Wednesday.
The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) had decried the loss of its members and properties to dilapidated roads — but NNPC appealed to the union to shelve the planned strike and accepted to rebuild some roads.
The approval, according to Fashola, was in line with Executive Order No. 007 of 2019 cited as the companies income tax (Road Infrastructure Development and Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme) Order, 2019 (“EO7 of 2019” or “the Scheme”), signed by President Muhammadu Buhari.
He explained that the selected 21 roads are 1804.6 kilometres, and it was a strategic intervention under the Federal Government Road Infrastructure and Refreshment Tax Credit Scheme.
The minister further explained that Executive Order 7 allows the private sector to deploy in advance the taxes they would pay for infrastructure development.
He said nine of the selected projects are in North Central, three in North East, two in North West, two in South East, three in South-South, and two in South West.
1. Dualization of Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa/ Bokani Junction road Section 1: Illorin-Jebba, Kwara State C/NO. 6468. 110.8km
2. Dualization of Ilorin, Jebba-Mokwa/Bokani junction Road Section II: Jebba-Mokwa-Bokani junction in Kwara and Niger states. C/NO.6469. 46 km
3. Dualization of Suleja-Minna road, Niger state. C/O. 6077. 40km
4. Dualization of Suleja-Minna Road, Niger State PhaseII (Km 40+000-101+000) C/NO.6267. 61km
5. Reconstruction of Bida-Lambata Road, Niger state C/NO.6372. 125km
6. Agaie-Katcha-Baro Road, Niger State 52.3km
7. Emergency repairs of failed section of Mokwa-Makera-Tagina-Kaduna state border in Niger state. 164km
8. Minna-Zungeru minna-Zungeru-Tagina road, Niger state. 90km
9. Bida-Minna road, Niger state. 791.1km
1. Rehabilitation of Cham-Numan section of Gombe-Yola road in Adamawa state. 46.35km
2. Construction of Bali-Serti road in Taraba state. 110km
3. Rehabilitation of Gombe-Biu road in Gombe/Borno state. 117km
1. Rehabilitation of outstanding sections of Gada-Zaima-Zuru-Gamji road Phase II in Kebbi State 62km.
2. Rehabilitation of Zaria-Funtua-Gusau-Sokoto-Birnin Kebbi. 221.5km
2. Rehabilitation of Umuahia (Ikwuano)-Ikot Ekpene road: Umuahia-Umudike in Abia state. 49km
1. Rehabilitation of Odukpani-Itu-Ikot Ekpene road in Cross River state Section I: Odukpani-Itu Bridge Head in Cross River/Akwa Ibom states. 21.9km
2. Dualization of outstanding portion of Odukpani-Itu-Ikot Ekpene: lot 2. 32km
3. Dualization of Oku-Iboku Power Plant Section of the Odukpani-Itu-Ikot-Ekpene road in Cross River/Akwa Ibom state. 28km
1. Rehabilitation and expansion of Lagos-Badagry Expressway (Agbara Junction-Nigeria/Benin border) in Lagos State. 62km
2. Dualization of Ibadan-Ilorin road (Route A2) Section II in Oyo State (Oyo-Ogbomosho).