For the first time since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus pandemic that started in Wuhan China late last year, today the 19th of March, 2020, the People’s Republic of China has announced that there were no new cases of Covid-19 for the first time as OYOGist.com learned.
While the rest of the world continues to go on progressive but gradual shut down as borders close and schools shutter down in an effort to curtail the spread of the global pandemic, China has announced for the first time since late December 2019 the absence of new coronavirus cases in the country.
Today, more than 8,648 people have been killed by the coronavirus with over 207,000 people infected worldwide. The most reported cases are still from China.
The Chinese report that in the past 24 hours, there were 34 imported cases of the virus – all from foreign nationals, while there were zero recorded local cases of the Covid-19 in their country.
If anything, this report gives a glimmer of hope that the coronavirus pandemic has a timeline, and with many of the rest of the world still battling it, it’ll come to an end very shortly.
The first Case of the Covid-19 virus was reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) on the 31st December 2019, by China where it was discovered that 10s of health workers in Wuhan have been infected with the disease.
On Wednesday, Nigerian recorded a jump in the number of confirmed cases from 3 cases to 8 cases after 5 new confirmed coronavirus cases were reported in one day. One of the 5 patients was in Ekiti State.
The country then announced a ban on travelers from 13 countries that have been worse hit with the coronavirus.
A report that was later published by Ekiti State government said the Ekiti index Covid-19 patient has spent 2 weeks in Ibadan after he drove an American carrying the disease throughout the town for two weeks before the caucasian died of his illness in Ibadan, the capital of Oyo State.
The Federal Ministry of Health and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control have commenced efforts to trace the people the patient came in contact with while in Ibadan.
The Oyo State government is still yet to take any serious measures to curb the spread of the disease as 100s of potential Covid-19 patients could be roaming within the town without anyone’s knowledge.
Both Lagos and Ogun States have announced a ban on public gatherings of more than 50 people, while the PDP led administration of Oyo State held a rally that saw a gathering of thousands the same day that the report was published.
Ekiti State has released knowledge materials on how to avoid the spread of the coronavirus and also released several hotlines to call if there are suspected cases.
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State, in response to criticism to the PDP rally held in Ibadan after the report that the Ekiti Covid-19 patient spent two weeks there, allegedly said the virus is within the APC party and not the PDP party.