US Vice President, Mike Pence Rejects possibility of stripping President Trump of his powers via 25th Amendment
January 13, 202176
Oyogist.com has learnt that US Vice President, Mike Pence in a letter to Speaker Nancy Pelosi has rejected the possibility of stripping President Trump of his powers through the 25th Amendment.
He said using the 25th Amendment to remove Trump would “set a terrible precedent.”According to him, the 25th Amendment is to be used when the President is either incapacitated or has a disability that prevents them from carrying out the duties of the office.
“I do not believe that such a course of action is in the best interest of our Nation or consistent with our Constitution,” Pence wrote, on the eve of the plan by the House to vote on Trump impeachment.
“Last week, I did not yield to pressure to exert beyond my constitutional authority to determine the outcome of the election, and I will not now yield to efforts in the House of Representatives to play political games at a time so serious in the life of our nation,” he said.
“I urge you and every member of Congress to avoid actions that would further divide and inflame passions of the moment,” Pence wrote.
“Work with us to lower the temperature and unite our country as we prepare to inaugurate President-elect Joe Biden as the next President of the United States.
“I pledge to you that I will continue to do my part to work in good faith with the incoming administration to ensure an orderly transition of power. So help me God.”